Equity & Inclusion Committee
Somerset Declaration of Inclusion
The Town of Somerset welcomes all people, regardless of race, skin color, national origin, ethnicity, religion, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, or disability.
We formally denounce racism, hate, and discrimination in all forms.
We are commited to respectful, fair, and equitable treatment of everyone in our community.The Equity and Inclusion Committee has been established by the Mayor, according to Sections 13-1 and 149-5 of the Town of Somerset Code, in order to promote awareness and action in Somerset on concerns relevant to ethnic, racial and cultural differences (broadly defined also to include sexual orientation and gender role, disability status and age). The focus should be on finding ways to foster understanding, and harmonious relationships across these differences both in Somerset and in the broader environment. The committee should provide a platform for community engagement and policy recommendations that are aimed to promote appreciation for these differences, as well as collaborative efforts to achieve equity and inclusion both in Somerset and in our broader community. The Committee shall remain in existence, until terminated by the Mayor.
Committee Mission Statement
Committee Achievements and Committee-Led Initiatives and Legislation
- Resolution Condemning Anti-AAPI Hate
- Black Lives Matter Diversity Library
- Slavery & Segregation History Forum
- Resolution Affirming Black Lives Matter
- Resolution Denouncing Anti-Semitism
- Initiatives to make the Town RFP process more inclusive
- Held an Anti Asian-Hate Forum
- Implemented an Accessibility Initiative,
- Launched a Somerset Sunday Movie Series
- Launched a Faces of Somerset series in the Town Journal