The Town of Somerset has six elected officials: the Mayor & the Town Council. These elected officials serve two-year terms & there are no term limits. Each local election has three elected offices on the ballot (three Councilmembers, or two Councilmembers & the Mayor). The Town may also occasionally have a local referendum on an issue pertinent to the Town. Throughout its history, Somerset has had twelve Mayors & many Councilmembers. Somerset cares deeply about upholding the democratic tradition of not only voting but also fostering voices in the community & building consensus.
Information on Town elections & how to vote in them can be found below.
Election & Voter Information
To be qualified to vote in Somerset you must:
- Be at least sixteen years of age.
- A resident within the corporate limits of the Town of Somerset for 14 days preceding the election.
- A citizen of the United States of America or a non-citizen legally authorized to reside in the United States.
- Registered in accordance with the provisions of the Town Charter. Every qualified voter of the Town shall be entitled to vote at any or all Town elections.
To register to vote In Somerset elections you can:
- Register to vote with Montgomery County which automatically registers you to vote in Town elections.
- If you do not want or cannot register in Montgomery County (such as for being a non-citizen) you can register with the Town directly. Please reach out to the Town Hall by phone, email, or in-person & request that a Town of Somerset voter registration form be mailed to you. Once you receive it, fill it out, & return it to Town Hall.
- You must be registered at least fourteen days in advance prior to a Town election.
Qualified voters who are incapacitated or who will be absent may receive ballots from the Town Manager at any time within 14 days prior to an election.
- To receive an Absentee Ballot please reach out to Town Hall by phone, email, or in-person 14 days prior to election day.
Qualifications to run for office in Somerset are:
- You must be a citizen of the United States of America.
- You must be registered to vote in the Town of Somerset & the State of Maryland.
- You must be a resident of Somerset for at least 18 months preceding the election date.
- Four weeks prior to a regular Town election, candidates must be nominated at a Town Meeting.
- Additional candidates may be nominated after the Meeting by written petition signed by at least 20 voters & filed with the Clerk-Treasurer (Town Manager) no fewer than 21 days before the election.