Noise Control
Construction noise is restricted to 7:00 am to 7:00 pm weekdays and 9:00 am to 7:00 pm Saturday and holidays. No exterior construction is permitted on Sundays.

Gas-powered leaf blowers are not permitted. Noise from lawnmowers, electric leaf blowers, chain saws and similar equipment is permitted only from 8:00 am to 7:00 pm on weekdays and from 9:00 am to 7:00 pm on weekends. In case of severe noise problems, call the Town Hall. After business hours, you can reach out to the Mayor. These numbers can be found on the Staff Directory and Meet the Mayor & Council pages.

The Environmental Committee and Park and Natural Resource Committee did a presentation on Montgomery County Lawn Care on January 29, 2017.

Pets and Animals
All dogs must be exercised on leashes, even when jogging with their owner. Dogs are not allowed on school property. Cats are not permitted to roam off owners' property. Pets may not run loose on Town land. Owners are responsible for cleaning up after their pets or risk County fines. Excessive barking is against the law and should be reported to the Town Hall. Somerset follows the Montgomery County Code regarding pets.
  • For any threatening situation or animal cruelty in progress, including a dog locked in a hot car, call 911.
  • For dead animal pickup call 311 during business hours.
  • For urgent and non-urgent animal issues, including a loose animal, cases of animal neglect, injured animals and defecation or odor complaints, contact Animal Services Division of Montgomery County Police at (301) 279-8000.
  • To report a lost pet, call Montgomery County Animal Services & Adoption Center at (240) 773-5900.
For additional information on Montgomery County's laws on such issues as unwanted noise, animal trespassing, and unwanted contact, please refer to the County's website at Montgomery County Animal Services & Adoption Center.

Right-of-Way and Overgrown Vegetation

The Town Code prohibits plant growth on a resident's private property from extending into the right-of-way in such manner that interferes with pedestrian or vehicular traffic. Please ensure that any structure, wall, fence, tree, hedge, shrubbery, or any other plant growth located on private property adjoining a right-of-way is maintained in such a manner and at such height that a clear and unobstructed view of the right-of-way is available to pedestrians and vehicular traffic.