Trash, Recycling, & Composting
- Household refuse, recyclables, and garden waste are collected every Tuesday, unless Christmas, New Year's Day, or July 4th fall on that day. Pickup may also be delayed because of inclement weather. In either case, pickup will occur the day (Wednesday).
- If you have a problem with refuse collection or recycling, call Goode Trash Removal at (240) 278-2698 to speak with Miguel Saavedra, the Operations Manager who oversees Somerset's collections.
- Cuttings, grass, and leaves must be in paper bags or reusable containers. Branches may be included or bundled and must not exceed 4' in length or 4" in diameter.
- Recyclables, including comingled paper, plastic (except plastic bags and number 6 plastics), metal, glass, and cardboard should be placed in a blue bin. Below is a recycling guide, you can also come to Town hall for a physical copy.
Special Trash Collections: The Town provides two special pickups during the Spring and Fall for large household items that are not acceptable for regular collections. The Town frequently partners with A Wider Circle or other chartable organizations for pickups of usable items.
Acceptable Items for Recycling
- Paper – drink boxes, milk cartons, newspaper and inserts, white or colored paper, food and snack boxes, hard and soft cover books, greeting cards, non-foil gift wrap, catalogs and magazines, junk mail, phone books, bagged shredded paper, three ring binders.
- Plastic – bottles (milk jugs, soda, detergent, salad dressing, cooking oil, shampoo, liquid soap, spray products, etc.) tubs, jars, trays, disposable cups and plates, flower pots, toys, buckets, clam shell packaging (from electronics, toys, batteries, salad bars, berries, etc.). !! Plastic Bags: Bundle and take to grocery store. Not for the recycling bin !!
- Metal – aluminum and steel cans (drink, food and pet food) pie and cake pans, empty aerosol cans (hairspray, whipped cream, etc.), aluminum foil.
- Glass – any color glass, bottles and jars, no need to remove lids, caps or labels.
- Cardboard – boxes flattened to less than 4’x6’ (bundling preferred). All styrofoam inserts or peanuts are to be removed.